The Kekova Environmental Protection Area offers sheltered bays and unspoiled scenery to discover.
Sea Kayaking in the calm waters of the Kekova Preservation Area is the best and ecologically right way, to visit the Sunken City and the home of Caretta Caretta Turtles.
The natural beauty and sheltered waters of the area guarantees that the complete beginner will love to paddle here as much as the experienced Kayaker.
There is no previous kayaking experience needed, it just needs some spirit for adventure and reasonable fitness.
- Tour of Kekova Bays and Island for 7-8 hrs
- Paddling: 3 x 45 minutes / max. 3 hours / ca. 10 kmSheltered waters with little or no waves.
- 2 swim-breaks minimum
- Sunken City Dolikhsite
- Simena Village (Lunch & Free time)
- Guide / Kayak Instructor (BCU certified)
- Kayaks (Tandem / doubles ) and all safety equipment
- Total 7 hour tour (without transfers)
- Delicious Lunch
- Transfers from Kas 35 minutes (for Kalkan see details please)
Ucagiz village is a good place to start our training because of its calm waters. After an introduction into the equipment and some preparation you'll receive a full safety briefing. On land and in the water we will have training about topics like technique, posture and balance. There will be plenty of time in the inner bay to train, until everyone gets a feeling for paddling and the kayaks before the tour actually starts.
First the group paddles about 3km southwards to Tersane Bay on the Kekova Island. This beautiful bay has very clear water that invites for a swim. The underwater and surrounding ruins of the ancient settlement of Xera offer opportunity to explore. Your guide will give information about history of the region. The next part of our trip goes along the cost of the Kekova Island right above the ruins of the Sunken City of Dolikhiste.Once finished with sightseeing we paddle across to the mainland.
Simena (Kale Village) is our midday break for lunch and exploration or a swim. Lovely streets with flowers and great views invite you to take pictures and to relax. In one of the cafes one can try the famous ice-cream served only in this village. These are homemade and with unique flavors like Cactus Fruit or Carob. As an option during the break the village has a Crusader Castle with great views to discover (10 TL entrance fee). It is also possible to spend the time here with a swim of the jetty or to take pictures of the Simena Sarcophagus.
After the break we get back in our kayaks to paddle to our final swimstop amongst ancient ruins. From here the route takes us through the rock-labyrinth to the remains of ancient Teimusa. Here we paddle along the Necropolis with fine examples of Lycian Sarcophagi back to our base.
A delicious lunch will be served normally in a local restaurant at Simena Village. Due to weather conditions this might change to a restaurant in the Ucagiz Village.
- Chicken shish kebap
- Mediterranean salad with olive oil
- Pilaf rice
- Delicious homemade fries or/and vegetables fried in tomato sauce. (Shakshouka).
- Vegetarian option
WHAT TO BRING
- Swim, surf, water shoes and sandals over flip flops.
- Sun hat, Sun glasses (with neck string), Sun cream
- Emergency medication (e.g. asthma inhaler)
- Swimsuits, Towel
- Change of clothes and shoes
- Wind jacket, for spring and autumn
- Small change money for Extra Drinks and Souvenirs.
- The hatches of our kayaks are small so please pack lightly
- We provide a few dry-bags to be shared for things you want to keep dry like camera and phones.
- For your sun lotion and towels a plastic bag is just fine..
- Please leave your valuables in your hotel.
- Cameras and phone only if waterproof during paddling.
- Recommended minimum Age is 8 years with parents.
- (legally we can take younger ones and sometimes we do if the parents are good paddlers.)
- 14 years with written permission
- Basic swimming knowledge
- Good overall physical condition
- Anyone who's enjoying to do an hour walking can also master this tour easily
PRICING & TIMING
Departure Time Kalkan: 08:00
with Meis Express Shuttle bus until Kas
meeting with guide and other participants
Departure from Kas 08:45 (35 min. drive)
Return Time: 17:00 - 18:00 (depends on weather and performance)
Departure Time : Peninsula 08:30
Departure Time: Office Latebreaks 08.45
Return Time: 16:00 - 17:00 (depends on weather and performance)
Meeting Time 09:30
at our Kayak Base behind Koclar Pension
Return Time 15:00 - 16:00 (depends on weather and performance)
For reservations and questions please call:
0090 545 335 4374
or visit us in our Office:
Latebreaks Travel / Meis Express Building
Main Square in Kas / Antalya